Wednesday, May 11, 2005

Ben Roethlisberger--Moron

I don't like to call people morons. It's not in my nature. However, when a successful and rich NFL quarterback with a family decides to ride his motorcycle around WITHOUT A HELMET, I have no choice.

Here's a reminder for Roethlisberger: Kellen Winslow (who happens also to be in the NFL, Ben) just got out of the hospital after crashing his motorcycle--he's expected to miss most if not all of this season, and is lucky to still be alive. Apparently that was not enough to scare Big Ben the idiot.

Roethlisberger on risk-taking: "I'm not really a risk taker. I'm pretty conservative and laid back, but the big thing is to just be careful. I'll just continue to be careful. I told him (Bill Cowher) we don't ever ride alone, we always ride in a group of people, and I think it makes it even more safe."

A couple of things--first of all, actually, you are a risk-taker, Ben. Just because you say you're not doesn't mean you're actually not--it's like when you say riding in groups makes it safer, that doesn't actually make it safer. How exactly does being in a group make it safer to ride a motorcycle without a helmet? Does the ground get fluffy-soft when you're in a group? Will that group block for you, Ben?

I like Joey Porter's take on it: "Some guys are real good on motorcycles and know what they're doing, but accidents happen. I can't knock the guy for doing it, but it's probably not the wisest thing to do. I don't own a bike because I don't trust them. If I fall off a Jet Ski, I hit the water, and I like my odds--I'm going to get wet. What I say about motorcycles is that concrete is undefeated."

Quarterbacks are supposed to be smart, right? They're supposed to be able to make good decisions under fire, no? This is a bad decision by a dumb quarterback, and I hope he realizes it before his skull is skidding across one of those bridges in Pittsburgh.

No comments: